This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Any thoughts on the title song "Moonraker"?

34 replies to this topic

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 03:16 AM

The first time I ever heard Moonraker by Shirley Bassey, I was blown away! I loved it and played the movie over and over again. I couldn't stop listening to it. I was even more amazed when I discovered the first time of the "Disco Moonraker" at the end of the film.

It didn't score high on the Billboard charts, (only #139 I think) but, I still love the song.

What are your thoughts on the song?

#2 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 04:29 AM

I like it as a song, but considering the film it appears in, it's way too subdued and low key.

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 07 August 2003 - 04:35 AM

Yes, I find it quite underwhelming and too crooner-ish really for a Bond song. The disco thing at the end is an abomination. Barry at his most average, I'm afraid.

#4 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 04:55 AM

I don't mind the disco version too much. Oddly enough, it fits right in with the cheesy film that it belo0ngs to.

#5 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 05:16 AM

I love it. It's in my top 5.I also loved 'For your eyes only'. I miss the romantic ballad. I see no reason why there can't be a good song along the lines of Moonraker,FYEO,All time high,You only live twice...

#6 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:25 AM

I'm sure the cheesy version of the theme at the end was not a fav of Barry's but it was right for the times - something many people keep forgeting when looking back at the past films and of course not only in regards to music but in ALL aspects of production. I personally love the Moonraker main theme - it was a departure of a kind from what we had been used to and was all the more welcome - for me anyway! Although is it all that different to TSWLM - both seem ballad like and moody without big stings in the writing.

#7 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 12:17 PM

I think it's a beautiful song, quite sad in a way, but I don't believe Bassey was the right person to sing it. She does sing it very sweetly though, but towards the end she gets a little belter-esque, and it's simply not that type of song.

I love the disco version too, it's superbly cheesy! And those chords are infectious!

#8 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:45 PM

As far as I know [some1 can correct me] But Kate Bush pulled out at the last minute and the story goes that Bassey was "in the building" - whatever building?!! and Barry thought... why not...!!

#9 booyeah_

booyeah_

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:51 PM

I think it was a very good song. It reminds me of DAF a little bit. Bassey is a very talented singer. I wish DAD had a song as good as MR.

#10 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 10:23 PM

It's very haunting, poignant and sad all at the same time. Everything about it - the strings, the opening notes with the image of the full moon - a kind of sweet sadness. It has meaning for me because I sat down to watch MR after breaking up with my first girlfriend. So the song will always evoke special memories for me.

But purely as a piece of music, it's another example of a strong, moving Barry theme. Bassey is a great singer, and she brings a lot of strength to the song. But the song is a great, emotional piece to begin with and will always say "Moonraker" for me.

#11 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 10:56 PM

love that song alot, its in my top 3 of bond songs and bassey is the reason

#12 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 11:59 PM

I really didn't care for it when I was a child, but now I think it is really good. While there are many I can list that are better than this one, it is still very good. I thought Bassey was perfect for the song, she really captures the sadness.

#13 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:44 AM

Do you know what Moonraker always feels like to me? - it's like a wine - it does seem to get better with the passage of time. I only know of one other Bond song were I can say the same thing about. - LTK.

#14 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 09 August 2003 - 12:54 AM

What also made the song disapointing for me was that as a followup to Carly Simon's chart-topper Nobody Does It Better, Moonraker was just so dull. And it isn't just me who feels that way because it did mediocre business in the charts as well.

#15 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 01:14 AM

nobody sings a bond song like bassey, i wonder if she would do another one?

#16 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 01:22 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
nobody sings a bond song like bassey, i wonder if she would do another one?

Oh, I agree totally. Goldfinger and Diamonds Are Forever were great songs, and I hope she can do another one. Moonraker was the letdown for me, and I'm not blaming Shirl for that.

I think she would've done a good job with GoldenEye too, if given the chance.

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 01:30 AM

The "Moonraker" tune is one that I find myself humming all the time...Although it probably doesn't quite fit the movie it's associated with, I still love it and I think it works fine towards the end...
"James, take me around the world one more time"....fade to music -- perfect!! :)

#18 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 02:19 AM

see thats what brozzie needs...a bassey song, heres hoping he gets one before he goes out

#19 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 02:23 AM

The closest he has had is Tina Turner....she is a Bassey-type performer/singer..

#20 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 05:01 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
The closest he has had is Tina Turner....she is a Bassey-type performer/singer..

and my fav. singer i might add, u talk about someone loving tina turner....i am the biggest tina fan in the good ole us of a.

i remember how stoked i was when i heard she was going to do the song, i was so happy

#21 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 06:47 AM

Moonraker's song is not the only Bond song that did mediocre business in the charts - must be at least a third of them that went that way - but then who are the charts for? teens mainly - I suppose they are not big followers of Ballad like songs.

#22 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 06:59 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
The "Moonraker" tune is one that I find myself humming all the time...Although it probably doesn't quite fit the movie it's associated with, I still love it and I think it works fine towards the end...
"James, take me around the world one more time"....fade to music -- perfect!! :)

and i am humming and singing goldfinger and driving my friends crazy and having them say to me....will u stop singing that

#23 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 07:06 AM

I'll take Bassey whenever I can get her (she must do another...) and the disco version is cool. Only complaint is the electronic beep that plays under the song, once it gets into your head it's very distracting.

#24 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Kingdom Come
As far as I know [some1 can correct me] But Kate Bush pulled out at the last minute and the story goes that Bassey was "in the building" - whatever building?!! and Barry thought... why not...!!

I've think i heard once that it was Frank Sinatra that pulled out, but im probably mistaken.
As for Bassey, im in the (extremely small) minority of Bond fans that dont care much for her Bond songs. I find DAF and MRK passable Bond songs, but I find Goldfinger an extremely silly song, and cannot understand why it is so highly liked. Goldfinger is one of only three Bond songs that I skip when listening to my best of Bond cd (FRWL and LTK being the others.

#25 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 01:06 PM

all of her bond songs are my favs

#26 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 02:26 AM

Yes, Kate Bush and Frank Sinatra were both rumoured or asked to do the title song for Moonraker. I'm so glad that Bassey did it. The song speaks for itself!

#27 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 06:13 AM

Sinatra was thisclose to recording something, not sure if it was the same song that Shirley ends up singing, then bowed out over some disagreement. I asked John Barry about it at an anniversary showing of Midnight Cowboy a number of years back. He did confirm that Sinatra was set to record but, wouldn't go into the details of why he cancelled or if he would've sung the same song.

#28 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 08:18 PM

It has the three essential elements of any good spy song: Barry, Bassey and Bond. You can't go wrong. It's my humble opinion that Barry and Bassey defined the "Spy Genre Theme" with all their collaborations.

#29 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 03:36 PM

I always heard that Johnny Mathis was going to sing it. Seriously.

#30 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 08:01 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
I always heard that Johnny Mathis was going to sing it.  Seriously.

Really? Can't say I've heard of him possibly doing it before. There really were a lot of names thrown in the air as to who would do it. I'm so glad they made the right choice.

You know, I think this was my first thread ever on CBn, because it is my all time favorite Bond song. It's just perfect!