This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Bond #6: Give Ewan Mcgregor a screen test!

32 replies to this topic

#1 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 10:53 PM

I caught "Down with Love" on a flight from Vegas to Chicago yesterday and I was VERY impressed with Ewan Mcgregor. I never thought he was Bond material: too short(5-10), Red haired, not hansome enough...etc.I was wrong.He could easily play 007. In the film he had black hair and wore tuxes about 30% of the film and cool suits that recall the woredrobe Connery had in his early films. He looks great and is not noticabley short (like Tom Cruise,for example). He was classy,charming, suave, sophisticated and played a womanizer very well.He also has a great voice/accent for Bond. I never imagined him as 007 before yesterday but if the 'next Bond' conversation is gonna involve Jackman, Owen and Butler I say add Ewan Mcgregor to the mix.He's my #2 choice now behind Hugh Jackman.

Anyone agree or disagree?

#2 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 11:06 PM

I say give either Ewan/Hugh a chance for one Bond film. If they bomb then Eon can get someone else. If they're great and fans like him, then sign him on for more movies.

#3 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 12:21 AM

I'm sorry but I just have to disagree. I don't think Ewan is tough enough to play Bond. Sure Bond should be suave and slick, but there is more to Bond than that. Bond has to be dangerous. Lethal. And Ewan just comes across as too likeable, soft and boyish to play a character as Bond. And his height still bothers me. Bond should be at least 6'1. The following actors are far more suitable I think:

Posted Image
Hugh Jackman

Posted Image
Gerard Butler

Posted Image
Jeremy Northam

#4 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 12:43 AM

I think Star Wars showed he can do action well.He was a true movie star in Down with Love. Check it out before you judge.

#5 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 01:42 AM

I saw the trailor for "Down With Love" and I thought he was James Bond. I am sure that EON will pick someone perfect to play Bond #6. Ewan McGregor could work if he was just little bit taller/handsome.

#6 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 01:59 AM

I agree the height is an issue but my point is he is my #2 choice now. All the JBs have been 6'1 to 6'2(GL). Ewan is not short but just not *James Bond* tall. He looks great in 'Down'.I would accept him over Clive Owen any day.Bogart was 5'6 and had great presence, machismo/toughness and sex appeal. His Rick in Casablanca is the coolest character in Black and white film ever.Anyway, I like Hugh Jackman as 007 #6 unless a newcomer comes along who seems ideal...

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:04 AM

I don’t think it would work, but hey, what the heck, why not give him a screen test.

#8 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:45 AM

If I had to choose I would probably pick Hugh Jackman. He's not, IMO, the best person for Bond, but I can't really think of anyone better. I think Ewan could do good as Bond too, despite his height. But as I implied above I can't really judge whether or not it would work unless I saw them actually acting as Bond.

#9 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 04:09 AM

BTW Crashdrive, why do all three of those three guys not own a hairbrush?:)

#10 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 08:59 AM

Originally posted by Tarl_Cabot
BTW Crashdrive, why do all three of those three guys not own a hairbrush?:)

That's what I call casual cool :)

As for Ewan, sure he can do action, but he hasn't shown in any of his films that he can be tough and/ or dangerous. He's far too boyish and soft. He lacks the edge a character like Bond needs. A screentest would only proof this. Bond needs to be a man not a boy. At least Jackman, Butler and Northam are men. With or without a hairbrush :)

#11 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 02:00 PM

Anyone who can slice and dice a Sith Lord in two equal pieces and send him down the shaft gets my vote for danger and action. Of course, he did get beat up by an 80+ year old man later on, but I digress.

#12 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 04:37 PM

Besides, Ewan himself doesn't seem to be very enthusiastic about the idea. In an interview with 'London Free Press Today', McGregor admits he's heard a murmur that he would be a good candidate to play James Bond when Pierce Brosnan retires:

"I don't want to hypothesize as to what I might do if the offer came. I'd have to wait until they actually approached me.

"I went through the same kind of angst and decision- making when George Lucas came to me for Star Wars.

"I think playing Bond would be an even greater commitment. They turn them out closer together than George does the Star Wars films and it appears to me that Pierce spends as much time promoting those films as he does making them."

"There's a great deal more fun for me in making a movie like Down With Love."

#13 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 05:00 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive

As for Ewan, sure he can do action, but he hasn't shown in any of his films that he can be tough and/ or dangerous. He's far too boyish and soft. He lacks the edge a character like Bond needs. A screentest would only proof this. Bond needs to be a man not a boy.  

I agree. I don't see McGregor as Bond material.

crashdrive, do you know of an actor named Steven Mackintosh (http://us.imdb.com/N...kintosh, Steven)? I'm not necessarily advocating him as Bond, but I'd be interested to read your thoughts on him. Not many pictures of him on the internet, but he's an excellent actor (young, but certainly not boyish) and seems to fit the profile in many ways.

I don't know how tall he is, but he's about the same age as Jackman and has some very, very solid acting experience indeed. If we can suggest Jack Davenport, why not Mackintosh?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 05:11 PM

Crashdrive, Ewan will age and become rugged in the next few years...I just think he's worth a look. He was cool as hell in Down with Love.I used to think he was out of the question for Bond but now I'd like to see him get a look as a backup plan if HJ says no thanks...in '86 we had Brosnan-Dalton to choose from. Now Jackman-McGregor is the best combo I can think of. I don't think Clive Owen has it but he would make a good 007 villian...

#15 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 07:01 PM

McGregor not handsome enough!! u have got to be kidding - he's about as handsome as u could get. A billion times more handsome than any other actor. He also has that rare physical ability to appeal to men and women [tugging at the homosexual in straight men! great fun?] As for him being 5 10 this is only a few inches off any other Bond. It is also a very good height as it is my height! and the majority of males anywhere on planet earth.

I do also like the look of Jackman - I hadn't seen his pic before.

#16 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 07:09 PM

"As for Ewan, sure he can do action, but he hasn't shown in any of his films that he can be tough and/ or dangerous."

Does Brosnan really seem especially tough or dangerous?

#17 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:54 PM

Does Brosnan really seem especially tough or dangerous?

I think so. Look at the opening sequence of 'The World is Not Enough'. That look Brosnan gives to the camera after he knocks out the bodyguards of Lachaise. That's what I call tough and dangerous. In 'Down With Love' he proved he can be suave, seductive and handsome, but he did not persuade me that he can be this dangerous. But if you feel he's a good choice, well you've got my blessing. Maybe I'm wrong and Ewan turns out to be a dynamite choice. I just prefer Gerard Butler, Jack Davenport and Jeremy Northam as back-up choices if Jackman passes.

As for Steven Mackintosh, I believe he's too short (he didn't seem very tall in 'Lock, Stock') and not handsome enough to play Bond.

#18 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 12:33 AM

I respect your opinion Crashdrive but I think Mcgregor can pull it off. He's not as ideal as HJ but he's better than the other names I keep hearing.I like that scene in TWINE with Pierce in Spain-that's my favorite scene in all of PB's films...I'm just glad there are more options now after seeing Down with Love...I don't think Hugh Jackman will pass on the greatest ****ing job on earth! :)

#19 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 06 August 2003 - 12:42 AM

Gee, I guess I'll have to see "Down With Love" and decide for myself.

Being a current supporter of Jackman for Bond campaign, I'll compare the two to see who may look better for the part.

#20 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 12:50 AM

It's a cool movie. Set in '63-65...in Bond's heyday. Check it out!

#21 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 12:57 AM

BTW Crashdrive, Mel Gibson was considered for the part in '86 and '94 and he is only 5'8.That's too short for Bond but I could forgive Mcgreger's 5-10 frame in 2 inch heels. :)

#22 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 01:29 AM

butler and davenport are the way to go, either one would be great

#23 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 01:38 AM

Davenport? Who is that?

#24 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 02:33 PM

As for Steven Mackintosh, I believe he's too short (he didn't seem very tall in 'Lock, Stock') and not handsome enough to play Bond.  

I don't agree with you on Mackintosh's looks, crashdrive. I tried to put up some photos in which he certainly looks handsome enough to play Bond, but there was some sort of technical glitch and I wasn't able to do it. Actually, pics of Mackintosh take quite some tracking down, and a lot of the ones that are on the internet seem to be from his teens. He's a very well-respected actor with an enormous amount of experience (if you ever get the chance, check him out in the superb 1993 British miniseries "The Buddha of Suburbia" - it's directed by Roger Michell, who went on to helm NOTTING HILL and CHANGING LANES, and is someone I wouldn't be surprised to see directing a Bond film some day), but he isn't famous, even in Britain.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe he's one of the hottest candidates for the Bond role, by any means (although, as we've discussed many times, there don't appear to be all that many realistic contenders). Apart from anything else, I reckon The Powers That Be will shy away from casting someone who's virtually unknown after Brosnan (they'll be scared of having another Lazenby or Dalton on their hands).

So, Mackintosh is hardly in the same league as people like Bale, Jackman, Northam and Owen when it comes to realistic candidates, but I'd be staggered if his name hasn't at least crossed the minds of the people in charge of casting on the Bond films. I mean, if they can interview Paul McGann....

#25 Pal

Pal

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 03:46 PM

Just wondering if we could see some pictures of Jack Davenport? I may have seen a small one of him before. Does he have some similar looks to Dalton?

#26 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Loomis
I don't agree with you on Mackintosh's looks, crashdrive.

I believe we have already established earlier that you and I don't see eye to eye when it comes to the appearance of a Bond actor. I've seen Mackintosh in several films (most notably 'Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrells', 'Memphis Belle' & the BBC show 'Our Mutual Friend' and I don't think he was partically handsome. He's more like the British equivalent of Kevin Bacon. Just like Dougray Scott, Mackintosh just strikes me as being too scary looking. And I think we agree that Paul McGann would have been an awfull choice to play Bond.

"The Buddha of Suburbia" - it's directed by Roger Michell, who went on to helm NOTTING HILL and CHANGING LANES, and is someone I wouldn't be surprised to see directing a Bond film some day

I've looked at Michell before. He's definately within the realms of possibility. I'm not sure though why he didn't make the list. Perhaps because he strikes me as more the auteur type (although I wouldn't call 'Notting Hill' a signature film). Or perhaps the fact that he was born in South Africa and raised in Syria and Czechoslovakia has something to do with this. Still a great suggestion nevertheless (you suggested him earlier in the thread about keeping directors in the family).

Originally posted by Pal
Just wondering if we could see some pictures of Jack Davenport?

Posted Image
For more information go to Jack Davenport as next Bond

#27 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 04:55 PM

No way! He was good in Pirates of the Carribean but not 007 material...

Hugh Jackman it seems, has no real competion...

#28 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 05:17 PM

I believe we have already established earlier that you and I don't see eye to eye when it comes to the appearance of a Bond actor. I've seen Mackintosh in several films (most notably 'Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrells', 'Memphis Belle' & the BBC show 'Our Mutual Friend' and I don't think he was partically handsome. He's more like the British equivalent of Kevin Bacon. Just like Dougray Scott, Mackintosh just strikes me as being too scary looking. And I think we agree that Paul McGann would have been an awfull choice to play Bond.

Sure, but my point is, McGann was given an audition (supposedly). Like I say, Mackintosh isn't one of the leading candidates by any means, but I'm sure he's on the list. Near the bottom, perhaps, but nonetheless on the list.

I really don't know who they'll pick to be Bond if Jackman isn't available/doesn't want the role after all. I like Owen, but I very much doubt he'll ever be Bond. Butler and Northam stike me as rich men in the poorhouse. Neither is especially good-looking (IMO - I know you disagree, crashdrive). Dominic West? Too unknown, and not handsome enough (again, I'll stress that this is only my opinion). McGregor? All wrong for the part. Dougray Scott? Too scary-looking. Davenport? He's good-looking, but does he really have what it takes to play 007? He's also a wee bit too young.

So who can I picture actually being cast? Jackman and Christian Bale. That's about it (and even Bale doesn't seem particularly likely).

I get the feeling that MGM/Eon will shy away from casting an unknown, or near-unknown, after Brosnan. I'm sure they're quite terrified of another Lazenby/Dalton scenario, and determined never again to hire someone whom Americans won't take to. They'll be looking for a certain amount of proven box office pulling power and name recognition.

Can you picture MGM greenlighting a $140 million+ megamovie with Gerard Butler or Jack Davenport in the lead? I can't.

Given that we're talking the quest to find the richest man in the poorhouse, is it possible that The Powers That Be will start - whisper it - looking at American actors? Don't forget that John Gavin and James Brolin almost played Bond. Perhaps George Clooney should start practising a British accent. I'm only half-joking.

I've looked at Michell before. He's definately within the realms of possibility. I'm not sure though why he didn't make the list. Perhaps because he strikes me as more the auteur type (although I wouldn't call 'Notting Hill' a signature film). Or perhaps the fact that he was born in South Africa and raised in Syria and Czechoslovakia has something to do with this. Still a great suggestion nevertheless (you suggested him earlier in the thread about keeping directors in the family).

I don't see that Michell is an auteur type, at least no more so than someone like Michael Apted. Here's another director suggestion to chew over: Alex Proyas (probably best known for THE CROW). I have a feeling you'll shoot it down on the grounds that he would seem to be a budding auteur, though.

Hugh Jackman it seems, has no real competion...

I think you're right.

#29 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 07:12 PM

Sure, but my point is, McGann was given an audition (supposedly). Like I say, Mackintosh isn't one of the leading candidates by any means, but I'm sure he's on the list. Near the bottom, perhaps, but nonetheless on the list.

Well, almost every British actor who's in his thirties makes the list. That's not a real accomplishment. Mackintosh isn't the kind of actor who will be under serious consideration imho. I rather focus on actors who make the top ten list instead of actors who are in the lower regions of the top thirty list. If I think hard enough, I'm sure I could list at least twenty actors who have a better shot than Mackintosh. Of course this is all my humble opinion, so take this with a grain of salt. It's definately refreshing to see a new name in the mix and perhaps you can find an actor I totally forgot about.

Alex Proyas. I have a feeling you'll shoot it down on the grounds that he would seem to be a budding auteur, though.

Yes, I'm sorry to say that Proyas doesn't strike me as a director who would give up final cut. Also his visual style may be too in-your-face for a Bond film. Perhaps 'I, Robot' will change all this. Roger Michell was a good and realistic suggestion however.

#30 Prav_007

Prav_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 07:17 PM

Coincidentally, I Ewan Mcgregor in Down with Love on a flight trip from Edmonton to Toronto, it was a terrible boring movie, but I do agree that Ewan Mcgregor should be give a screen test. Ewan definelty proven to me he can be that smooth, womanizering Bond. We seen in Star Wars as a jedi, why can't see him in Bond 22 and beyond?