52 replies to this topic

#1 johnisnumberone

johnisnumberone

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:50 AM

Can any of you can give me a good reason why Marty shouldn't hit the director's chair for Bond 21?
I don't think I could imagine a more perfect scenario.

#2 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:51 AM

i am all for him, i thought the world of goldeneye

#3 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 03:10 AM

I think it would be great if Campbell came back for the next Bond film. But this is obviously only possible if:

1. He is willing.
&
2. If the producers are willing.

I don't know how likely this is to happen, but all we can do is wait and see.

#4 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 03:23 AM

well if we can get him maybe we can get brosnan to go all out for the next bond film, like he did in goldeneye, some have a mind that he slacked way up after campbell, and has only given a half hearted effort since then

#5 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 09:34 AM

The only reason Campbell is sniffing round Eon, is because his career is starting to dip. Not a good reason [enough] to have him back. His direction on GoldenEye was too middle of the road and not enough 'unique style'. Looking at GoldenEye, you really can't say that, is the Campbell look. It tried too hard to be all things to all men.

#6 Doubleshot

Doubleshot

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 05:11 PM

As long as he brings a decent DP on board and David Arnold is kept on to score it, I would have no problem with Campbell directing.

#7 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 09:11 PM

i can't agree more with you, doubleshot.

Sometime, i dream of Goldeneye with a score by David Arnold......

#8 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 10:13 PM

If Campbell does come back and he brings Arnold on board i'll seriously consider leap frogging this Bond film.

#9 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 10:18 PM

While I understand your dislike of Arnold, can you really dislike Campbell based on GE? I've seen his other films, and he is a compotent director, sure he did'nt do anything that stood out in GE, but that doesnt necessarily mean he'll do a repeat of his work on GE.

#10 johnisnumberone

johnisnumberone

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 11:56 PM

Guys - I don't know about you - But I'm getting chills - Campbell at the helm of Bond 21 - WOW! It'd be the best decision for a long while.

One thing's for sure, as good as Serra is, I'm not to pleased with his GE score - so no more Eric for Bond 21 - am I not the only Bond fan wondering if Arnold has had his day? Since TND, the score for TWINE and DAD has become progressivly techno and almost as detached as Serra's score for GE.

As bad as the GE score is, I prefer it to DAD, so is Arnold the single best option?

Ten votes for Campbell/Meyheux (excellent partnership) and a mixed feeling on Arnold. I know he has it in him - the score for Tomorrow was his High point - I didn't appreciate his queeny attitude towards Madonna's theme tune for DAD. The score holds little correlation and is just to techno sounding for my liking.

I'm still excited about Campbell though! Keep the thoughts coming!!!!!!

#11 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 12:00 AM

Originally posted by Doubleshot
As long as he brings a decent DP on board and David Arnold is kept on to score it, I would have no problem with Campbell directing.

Exactly. Some inspired cinematography would be good. And Campbell did a better job with GE than Spottiswood did with TWINE. Tamahori came close with DAD. But guys, let us not forget the Boris-clicking-the-ballpoint-scene from GE. Such tension, such editing. And Bond's fight with Trevelyan in the radar dish reminded me of the Connery years, although it was a better staged fight than we have seen in recent Bond flicks.

VM

#12 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 12:05 AM

Originally posted by level007
i can't agree more with you, doubleshot.

Sometime, i dream of Goldeneye with a score by David Arnold......

And I thought I was the only one. In some ways, I'm worse. Imagine Goldeneye starring a young Sean Connery.

VM

#13 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Kingdom Come
If Campbell does come back and he brings Arnold on board i'll seriously consider leap frogging this Bond film.

Hey KC, I will agree that Arnold's DAD score was lack-lustre, but everybody's allowed to have an off day.
And really, if you're gonna leap-frog a Bond film, might I suggest TMWTGG?

VM

#14 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 12:20 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
well if we can get him maybe we can get brosnan to go all out for the next bond film, like he did in goldeneye, some have a mind that he slacked way up after campbell, and has only given a half hearted effort since then

What?????????Who are those people, Brosnan didn't write the scripts or direct the films, it's people behind the Bond films since Cubby died, after Goldeneye, TND, TWINE AND DAD all had weaker 3rd acts and a lack of completeness to them, while good Bond films, they all could of been some of the best by a mile with more care.

#15 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 07:58 AM

Vodka, I can't leap frog MWTGG, as I've seen it a hundred times! I hope Don Sharp comes back sometime as the second unit director, Armstrong's stuff seems to have a sameyness to it. Far too many views of watching and not enough angles of putting the audience into the middle of the action. Good example is DADs opening chase. Sharp's second unit stuff on GE was probably the best ever seen in the series.

#16 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 10:52 AM

Originally posted by johnisnumberone
Am I not the only Bond fan wondering if Arnold has had his day? Since TND, the score for TWINE and DAD has become progressivly techno

Arnold has said in interviews that he's pushed the Bond soundtrack as far into techno as he wants to go, so I think it's a safe bet that the next soundtrack will be more traditional and in the style of TND, which can only be good news.

As for Martin Campbell returning, I really hope this happens - It's something I've been waiting for since GE!!

#17 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Kingdom Come
Vodka, I can't leap frog MWTGG, as I've seen it a hundred times!

Yeah, TMWTGG was probably the first Bond film I saw, way back in '74. I thought it was fantastic! (I was eight).
Of course, these days, I take my Bonds a little more seriously.
But, KC, you wouldn't seriously leap-frog a Bond film, would you? Even a bad Bond is better than nothing. Besides, a bad Bond is usually a good indicator of what you don't want to see in the next one.
Just my 2c.

VM

#18 johnisnumberone

johnisnumberone

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 12:35 PM

Vic Armstrong works better with a better director ---> When he teamed with Spotiswoode for TND we got the BMW car and motorcycle chase - whne he teamed with Apted for TWINE we got the Thames Boat chase and the amazing ski sequence. On DAD we get action high points like 'the ice wave' and 'icarus' and 'antonov'. Granted we see the Aston Martin in action, but with Arnold's goofy techno score and the ramp editing...? I'm just not too sure.

Armstrong has only one shining moment in DAD and that is the Hovercraft sequence - which stands alone at about a 6/10 for me.

As for the recent 'weak third acts' I am forced to agree.

I find myself wanting to turn off TND at the start of the stealth boat scenes; TWINE at the start of the Submarine sequence and certainly DAD at the Antonov sequence - I think they spiral ot of control and become mindless balls out action - look at GE - a tense and dangerous third act, small legdes, fist fights, moving satalite dish: all intercut with Boris' struggle on the computer - MUCH more traditional Bond.

All we need now are fifty ninjas fast roping into an underground lair! HAha!

I still continue to chant 'Campbell, Campbell, Campbell!' Who's with me?

#19 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 01:18 PM

Originally posted by johnisnumberone

I find myself wanting to turn off TND at the start of the stealth boat scenes; TWINE at the start of the Submarine sequence and certainly DAD at the Antonov sequence - I think they spiral out of control and become mindless balls out action - look at GE - a tense and dangerous third act, small legdes, fist fights, moving satalite dish: all intercut with Boris' struggle on the computer - MUCH more traditional Bond.

Good points, all.

#20 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 03:41 PM

John i agree completely with u in regards to 'turning off' the 3rd acts of the Bond films u mentioned in axactly the same places. Though as for DAD the 3rd act is better than the previos 2. Vodka, no I would't / couldn't leap frog a Bond film! if if Arnold returns.

#21 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 02:29 AM

Isn't it the 2nd unit director who devises most of the action sequences? If so then I agree we definitely need to have Don Sharp instead of Vic Armstrong!

Oh, and another hand up for Campbell/Meheux. Dunno about Arnold; TND was okay, and DAD had some good moments (Cuba scenes) and some bad ones (death of Gen. Moon, although that melodrama was also the fault of the director and editor). Sometimes even listening to the Cuba music it seems overdone. Just so long as he doesn't write the title song I will be okay with it (and I've ranted enough on my observations of how Arnold cuts out all his themes from the same uninspired template, so I won't repeat it here).

Dave

#22 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 03:24 AM

maybe EON has a spy or too who wil see this and bring it too them...

#23 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 03:50 PM

Do you really think Campbell would be invited back considering he has been trashing the Bond franchise over the past seven years. I am not sure Wilson and Babs will forgive him for some of his very public comments.
Shame because GE was Brosnan's best 007 movie.

#24 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:41 PM

What were his public comments?

#25 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:09 PM

Campbell would be okay, but he's not exactly Terence Young or Peter Hunt. I probably agree he's the best of the four Brosnan-era directors.

I'm curious too about his trashing the Bond franchise since it gave him a profile enough to do other A-list productions like Zorro and Vertical Limit. Beats what he was doing before.

#26 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:38 PM

DLibrasnow, what did Campbell say?

Dave

#27 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:27 PM

Thought I'd pitch in here - curiosity got the better of me and found these snippets. Apparently, Campbell, at the time Vertical Limit was being made (around TWINE), was asked "all the time" to do another one, but turned it down because he wasn't sure where to take it next.

"Before you have to go, we've got to ask if you've given any thought to doing another Bond movie?

You know, they ask me all the time and the reason I haven't done it is because I sort of don't quite know where to go with it anymore. I know that they're not going to start another Bond film for another year. I think what MGM is trying to do is take more time on the script this time."

http://actionadventu...y/aa120100b.htm

Also, the BBC interviewed him and he talks about how the series had lost its essence:

Campbell is largely credited with resuscitating the Bond series with "GoldenEye", so what did he think of the two that came afterwards? "I'm disappointed. Bond has become much more of an action man, and he's lost all those moments that make him Bond. So you end up with half a million machine gun bullets when you should have one silencer."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...interview.shtml

#28 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:30 PM

Which, if they are the alluded comments, doesn't amount to very much at all.

Seems like a reasonable opinion as opposed to an all out dissing attack.

#29 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:33 PM

That last paragraph from Campbell is a bit suspect. He's complaining about Bond's use of the machine gun rather than the Walther, thats all find and dandy, but we forget one thing. In GE, Bond mostly used machine guns !

Still, he has a point.

#30 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:57 PM

Also, he's gone on to say in another interview that he wasn't sure "how many control rooms" he could blow up.

Sounds to me from this and the other comments that he's had his fair share of Bond, and he's quite content with it.

However, in those quotes, there's nothing that would implicate any outlandish or extreme criticism of the series, certainly not enough to suggest Michael G. and Barbara Brocolli wouldn't "forgive" him.

And Jimmy, I have to disagree. He uses a machine gun in the pre-titles and final fight enroute to the satellite dish, and that's the extent of it. There is certainly nothing as strong as Bond firing endlessly during the finale of TND, and in its opening.